Plano is about to serve up one of the largest dedicated indoor pickleball court facilities in the state with Pickleball Kingdom, a project directed by Dallas-based commercial real estate developer Dan Jenkins.
The facility, slated to open in January, will have 15 indoor courts coupled with outdoor surfaces,
In partnership with the Pickleball Kingdom franchise network headquartered in Chandler, Arizona, Jenkins has secured the rights to develop and operate five Pickleball Kingdom locations across North Texas, including Plano, Keller, and three other facilities. Committed to fostering pickleball growth, the franchise aims to offer convenient facilities within 10 to 15 minutes of North Texas communities.
The Pickleball Kingdom team faced a challenge to find a location with at least 40,000 square feet, but their search led them to a vacant anchor store at 1301 Custer Road. Pickleball Kingdom said the building owner shares an appreciation for pickleball and expressed enthusiasm for Pickleball Kingdom’s vision and recognized the potential for revitalizing the available space.
“Since my childhood days of playing pickleball at camp, my love for this sport has been a lifelong companion. It’s a game that brings people together, creates lasting bonds, and fuels a passion that never fades,” Jenkins, the chief visionary officer but also referred to as “Papa Pickle,” said in a statement. “As we prepare to open the largest indoor pickleball facility in Plano, we invite our friends and neighbors into a world of excitement, community, and healthy competition. I can’t wait to see players of all ages and levels come together to become a part of the Kingdom experience because ‘life is better with pickleball’!”
Opening first in Plano, next in Keller
The Plano facility offers year-round play and these additional highlights:
- Fifteen dedicated indoor courts, featuring “outdoor surfaces” favored by pickleball enthusiasts, will provide ample space for players of all levels regardless of the weather.
- Food and Beverage Cafe: Coffee, protein shakes, and a variety of grab-and-go food options for purchase will keep players energized and refreshed.
- Internet Lounge: An internet lounge will be available for players and members to socialize and stay connected between games.
- Corporate Events: The facility will be equipped to host corporate events and parties, providing a unique and enjoyable experience for team building and entertainment.
- Pickleball 101 Classes: Free introductory group classes provide newcomers with a quick transition from learning to playing within an hour.
Pickleball Kingdom said that plans are underway for an even larger, from-the-ground-up location in Keller to open in summer 2024.
Earlier this month, Keller City Council approved an incentive agreement valued at $103,923 with Pickleball Kingdom to build a $5 million 44,000-square-foot pickleball facility with 17 indoor courts. In a post on the city’s Facebook page, officials said the city expects to recoup the investment within five years.
Sandra Engelland contributed to this report.
Get on the list.
Dallas Innovates, every day.
Sign up to keep your eye on what’s new and next in Dallas-Fort Worth, every day.