Dallas-based business advisory firm Embark has formed its new board of directors with membership across prominent disciplines.
The firm said the new appointments reinforce its commitment to deliver value and experience across the organization and will complement the existing executive team.
“We’re thrilled to have these highly accomplished members as part of our new board of directors. With their diverse backgrounds, areas of expertise, and shared commitment to our vision, the board will enhance our ability to perform at a high level without losing our cultural DNA along the way,” Paul Allen, Embark founder, chief vision officer, and board chair, said in a statement. “By being highly selective in identifying these particular individuals, we ensure the Board is an extension of the vision already in place and focuses on the humanistic, people-centered approach we’ve used to build the entire firm.”
Embark CEO Clancy Fossum said the board will help guide the company’s expansion.
“We’re intentionally adding the board at an exciting time for Embark as we expand into new markets and continue disrupting the professional financial services industry,” Fossum said. “The board brings a critical complementary skill set to the existing team and will be active and engaged with the C-team and employees across the firm. By building on our track record of success, they will help the company be the industry-leading disruptors we’ve become.”
Per Embark, the current board members include:
Independent Board Members
- Whitney Johnson is the CEO of Disruption Advisors. She’s an award-winning author of several bestselling books, including “Smart Growth: How to Grow Your People to Grow Your Company.” Thinkers50 ranked her among the top ten management thinkers in the world in 2021. Johnson also hosts the weekly Disrupt Yourself podcast. With an extensive background as an executive coach, Johnson is renowned for her expertise in growth development of employees and ensuring value across companies. Her deep industry knowledge and strategic insights will be critical to helping the Embark’s ongoing people development initiatives.
- Kim O’Connor is a CPA with over 35 years of experience in public accounting. She has held various managerial roles during her career, including serving as the Boston Office Managing Partner for Grant Thornton, a global public accounting and advisory firm. As Managing Partner, she was responsible for strategy execution, delivering profitable growth, and managing operations. Since 1997, she has also served global public and private companies in her role as an SEC audit and client relationship partner at Grant Thornton and PwC. O’Connor has significant experience working with C-level executives and boards through dynamic growth periods and shifting operational complexity, with specific expertise in SEC reporting, GAAP, debt and equity offerings, enterprise-wide risk management, internal controls, system implementations, investments and acquisitions, and valuation matters. O’Connor was also an early adopter of DEI; she has championed diverse candidates; DEI initiatives throughout her career and continues to mentor young professionals & host leadership conferences today.
- Matt Sharrers is executive chairman of SBI, a leading Go-to-Market Growth Advisory firm for innovative companies. As a visionary leader with specific expertise in revenue growth, Sharrers brings a unique perspective to the Board through his experience in strategic consulting and helping companies drive value. He is also an expert in coaching CEOs leading previously founder-led organizations. Forbes has recognized SBI as one of America’s Most Admired Management Consulting Firms for several years in a row.
Executive Board Members
- Paul Allen is the Founder of Embark and will be Executive Chairman of the Board.
- Clancy Fossum is the CEO of Embark and serves as an executive member of the Board.
“The board is essential in ensuring Embark continues to align our record growth and demand with employees’ individual growth, ultimately helping the firm succeed as a cohesive organization. At Embark, the Board’s role is just as much about values and culture as it is fiduciary purpose,” Allen said.
Embark plans on adding additional members to the Board, one with geopolitical expertise to help the firm navigate global dynamics over the next few decades and another with experience in expanding Embark’s menu of services internationally.
Founded in 2010, the firm services an ever-growing list of top-tier markets, including Dallas, Houston, Austin, Denver, Phoenix, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Salt Lake City, Tampa Bay, Charlotte, Nashville, Miami, and Atlanta.
Embark helps organizations optimize finance, accounting, technology, operations, and HR.
Get on the list.
Dallas Innovates, every day.
Sign up to keep your eye on what’s new and next in Dallas-Fort Worth, every day.